The Train Journey that Changed Destiny - Part 2

Note: Thanks for the great response guys. Now I know that at least someone reads the nonsense I write. I finally managed to submit my ethics write-up (A course requirement!) and I can finally get back to my story.

Suddenly, the phone rang, Ishant answered "Hello?, Hello?" He could barely hear anything, "Damn it!" he thought "There is no cell phone reception outside of Delhi" realizing that the train was past the outskirts of the city. Suddenly the phone came to life again, this time he could hear the person at the other end, "Hello Ishant! Are you on the train? Did your ticket get confirmed?" It was a few seconds before he realized who was at the other end "Hello Mom! Yes, I am on the train. My ticket was confirmed and the T.T.E just allotted me a berth."
Mom: "I am on my way to the station myself, I should be in Chennai tomorrow. I hope you remembered to bring our tickets to Kumbakonam"
Ishant: "Yes mom, I did!"
Mom: "So, this is an excellent opportunity for you to find out how the counselling process works. Besides, I am not sure you will be offered a seat, considering you are ranked 600 on the priority list"

Ishant: "Mom, I am not really looking to move out of Delhi. I don't care much for Kumbakonam anyway! So, How is your work coming along, in Mumbai?"

Mom: "That reminds me, I was talking to one of my colleagues today about KIT (Kumbakonam Institute of Technology), he tells me that it is an excellent place to study. Besides, he is a Bio-Technology graduate himself and he tells me there is not much difference between Chemical Engineering and Bio-Technology. What do you think of Biotech for a career option? It seems to be the in thing these days."

Ishant: "Mom! There is no way I am doing my engineering at KIT, the only reason I agreed to even travel to Kumbakonam is so I could spend some time with Grandpa and you sweetened the deal by promising to take me to a couple of temples near Kumbakonam."

Mom: "OK! OK! Nobody is asking you to join KIT yet. Considering your marks, I would probably have to pay them a hefty donation to give you a seat. There are many other options to choose from such as....."

Suddenly, there was silence at the other end. Ishant realized that he had lost reception again. He looked at the time, it was 10:55 P.M. He decided to settle down on his berth for a night of much needed sleep. "Hopefully" he thought, "I will be back to Delhi by the end of this week and I can finalize my college admissions and settle into college life. Travelling all the way to Kumbakonam just to have a look at the counselling process is such a drag". With these thoughts in mind, he slowly drifted off to sleep.

3 comments:

Arshat Chaudhary said...

wow.. sounds good.. cant wait for part 3..

Si_Lee said...

still waiting ... :)

Uthra said...

Chemical Engg!! Kumbakonam!! From Delhi!! Oooo.. Its terrible... ;)